Ensure a smooth transition into higher education by setting up a savings account early. A Coverdell Education Savings Account (ESA) provides a safe, tax-free place to build a college fund — as well as financial confidence for a new stage in life.
- Set aside funds for your child's education
- No setup or annual fee
- Dividends grow tax-free
- Withdrawals are tax-free and penalty-free when used for qualified education expenses1
- Designated beneficiary must be under 18 when contributions are made
- To contribute to an ESA, certain income limits apply2
- Contributions are not tax deductible
- $2,000 maximum annual contribution per child
- The money must be withdrawn by the time he or she turns 303
- The ESA may be transferred without penalty to another member of the family
- No minimum deposit to open
1Qualified expenses include tuition and fees, books, supplies, board, etc.
2Consult your tax advisor to determine your contribution limit.
3Those earnings are subject to income tax and a 10% penalty.